Michael Bailey is a professional writer from Falmouth, Massachusetts who kind of hates writing bios.
Michael has been a working writer since 1998 when he simultaneously (and at the same time) sold his first freelance article to Renaissance Magazine and landed a job as a staff reporter for the Enterprise Newspapers. During his 15 years with the Enterprise, Michael served as editor for the paper’s region section and senior political reporter, and was the paper’s first blogger. His political and current events blog, Snark-Infested Waters, delighted and annoyed readers until 2013, when Michael left the paper to pursue his fiction writing career.
Over the years Michael has contributed several more articles to Renaissance Magazine and other local publications, and has since 2004 been a staff writer for two New England-based renaissance faire production companies: Pastimes Entertainment and the Connecticut Renaissance Faire.
He currently lives in Oxford, MA with his wife Veronica, their bulldog Beatrix, and four cats.
- Action Figures – Issue One: Secret Origins (September 2013)
- Action Figures – Issue Two: Black Magic Women (March 2014)
- Action Figures – Issue Three: Pasts Imperfect (September 2014)
- Action Figures – Issue Four: Cruel Summer (March 2015)
- The Adventures of Strongarm & Lightfoot – Scratching a Lich (September 2015)*
- Action Figures – Issue Five: Team-Ups (February 2016)
- Cheap Thrills Digest (March 2016)
- The Adventures of Strongarm & Lightfoot – Assassins Brawl (September 2016)*
- Action Figures – Issue Six: Power Play (February 2017)
- The Adventures of Strongarm & Lightoot – Blades of Glory (September 2017)*
- Action Figures – Issue Seven: The Black End War (February 2018)
- Well-Behaved Women – Awakening (September 2018)*
- The Final Summons – a New England Speculative Writers anthology (February 2019)
- Action Figures – Issue Eight: Crawling From the Wreckage (April 2019)
- Well-Behaved Women – Transition (April 2019)*
- Well-Behaved Women – Endtimes (Fall 2019)*
- Action Figures – Issue Nine: Hell Hath No Fury (January 2020)
- The Adventures of Strongarm & Lightfoot – Sworded Affairs (May 2020)*
- Action Figures Omnibus – Vol. 1 – Stepping Up (Fall 2020)
- Beneath the Mask – A Superhero Romance Anthology (February 2021)
- Action Figures – Issue Ten: Unintended Consequences (May 2021)
- The Adventures of Strongarm & Lightfoot – Elfish Motives (2021)
* = Audiobook version available
- Falmouth Enterprise – staff reporter, political reporter, Mashpee and Falmouth editions (August 1998 – September 2013)
- Worcester Telegram – freelance correspondent (September 2016 – July 2017)
- Have Cassock, Will Travel – Renaissance Magazine cover feature about the King Richard’s Faire apprentice program (originally written as a separate article, combined with another article written by Michelle Santos) (1999)
- God Save the Queen! The Life and Times of KRF’s Queen Katherine – Renaissance Magazine feature interview with actor Barbara “Bodge” Burinski (2001, reprinted in 2002 with new material)
- The King Arthur Festival – scenario co-writer (2004)
- The Connecticut Renaissance Faire – scenario writing team member (2005 – present)
- The Three Musketeers Faire – scenario writer (2005)
- Sex and Violence – script for independent renaissance faire act (2006)
- The Salem Pirate Faire – scenario co-writer (2008)
- A Knight for Murder – script for murder mystery dinner show (2009)
- Casino Confidential – script for murder mystery dinner show (2011)
- Class Acts – script for independent renaissance faire act (2013)
- Theater Run A-Muck – script for independent renaissance faire act (2017)
- The Connecticut Renaissance Faire, Tournament of Arms scene (2019)
- Author Shout (2014)
- J.M. Aucoin – official website (February 2014)
- The Writer’s Blueprint with Jonathan Kreiger (December 2015)
- The Story So Far with Phil Van Vlack (June 2016)
- Interview with Gerhard Gehrke (July 2018)
- Interview with Trish Heinrich
- Table to Stage Podcast (March 2019)
- The Fussy Librarian Q&A (June 2020)
- Superhero-fiction.com’s “Behind the Mask” podcast with Franklin Kendrick (August 2020)
- Quarancon 2020 – Superhero Stories panel (April 2020)
- Superhero Fiction Virtual Convention – Creating the Powers Behind the Supers panel (May 2020)
WHERE ELSE CAN YOU FIND MICHAEL ON-LINE?
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER!
Want to ask me a question? Interested in hiring me? Drop me a line at mikeatinnsmouthlook at gmail dot com or use the Contact Me form.
- Interviews: I gladly do interviews, but requests asking me to pay a fee will be deleted and the sender will be blocked.
- Events: If you’re interested in having me at your event, large or small, contact me with the basic details (what, where, when) and whether you’re inviting me to appear as a guest or offering vendor space. I will consider all invitations on a case-by-case basis, but larger events must have robust policies against harassment of any kind and actively promote diversity among its participants.
- Speaking Engagements: I am available to speak about my work in particular, and writing and self-publishing in general, at libraries, schools, writing groups, etc. Contact me with the basic details.
- Writing Work: I do not write for free. My rates are negotiable depending on the nature of the project, but I do expect to be financially compensated for my time. I am open to fiction projects in the genres of fantasy, urban fantasy, superheroes, science fiction, and horror; nonfiction on topics including writing, self-publishing, renaissance faires, and stage combat; and scriptwriting for film, video, TV, and theater, which includes stage theater and environmental theater such as renaissance faires.